As a student you probably don’t have a lot of money to spend. The premium of a healthcare insurance can take a large bite out of your monthly budget. If you are obliged to have a basic healthcare insurance in the Netherlands, you might be entitled to a compensation for Dutch health care insurance expenses. On this page you can find information about how, when and where to apply for a healthcare allowance.
What is healthcare allowance?
Healthcare allowance is compensation for the cost of the basic healthcare insurance. This healthcare allowance will be paid by the Dutch Tax Authority (Belastingdienst).
When can you be eligible for a healthcare allowance?
You will be eligible for the healthcare allowance when you meet the following criteria:
- You are obliged to take out a basic healthcare insurance in the Netherlands (for more information, check our page basic healthcare insurance);
- You need to have a citizen service number (Burger Service Nummer (BSN));
- You need to have the Dutch nationality or residence permit (If you don’t have a residence permit you can contact the Dutch immigration authorities (IND));
- You must be 18 years or older;
- Your income can’t be higher than € 27.012 a year.
How can you apply for a healthcare allowance?
You can apply for a healthcare allowance at the Dutch Tax Authority. There are two ways to do this: by classic ‘post’ or online.
- By post: you can find contact information on the website of the Tax Authority or call the Tax Authority Phone (Belastingtelefoon) to ask them to send you the application forms.
- Online: you can fill in the application forms online on the website of the Belastingdienst under the tab Toeslagen. In order to send these application forms you need an electronic signature (DigiD).
How much the healthcare allowance can be?
The amount of compensation you will get depends on your income and your family situation. The maximum of healthcare allowance that you can receive is € 996,- in 2016, this means € 83 each month.
Estimated yearly income
In order to apply for a healthcare allowance you have to make an estimation of your income. For the estimation of your income you can use your most recent income tax assessment and add your salary rise (or drop) and your possible income outside the Netherlands.
When do you receive your healthcare allowance?
After you have sent your application form the Tax Authority will make a provisional calculation of the amount. Within 8 weeks you will receive this provisional calculation and within the same period of time you will receive your first healthcare allowance payment on your bank account.
If you receive this provisional calculation,make sure to check it for any possible errors.
What can I do when something changes?
If your income changes or something changes in your family situation, you have to inform the Tax Authority. You can inform them by filling in a change form and send this to the Tax Authority.
If you don’t inform the Tax Authority about this change in your situation, it is possible that you receive too much healthcare allowance. If you are not entitled to this amount of health care allowance, you will have to pay back the difference. In order to prevent a situation in which you have to pay back a large amount of money, make sure you communicate the changes to the Tax Authority. Maybe you are even entitled to a higher amount of compensation!
Future healthcare allowance
If you apply for healthcare allowance, you will receive a definite calculation of received health care allowance at the end of the year. Furthermore, you will receive a provisional calculation for the next year.
If there are any (foreseeable) changes in your income or family situation, it is wise to let the Tax Authority know right after you received the provisional calculation for the coming year.