Insurance options foreign students

As a foreign student in The Netherlands it’s not always that clear what kind of healthcare insurance you need. You might need to take out a Dutch (or private) healthcare insurance, although it is also perfectly possible you can keep your home country healthcare insurance. How to find out which situation applies to you? That depends, on your country of origin and your age for example. On this page we will give you a detailed description of the different possible situations.

Go directly to our

Why an insurance?

When you are a foreign student in The Netherlands you need a decent healthcare insurance. With this insurance you can get a compensation for medical costs during your stay in The Netherlands. However, you can choose there are a few different insurances. If you don’t have the right insurance, you can get a fine from the Dutch government. Therefore it is important to make sure that you are insured in the right way.

Conditions and rules

Always make sure that you choose the right insurance for your situation. What insurance suits your situation depends on:

  • If you are earning money in The Netherlands;
  • Your home country;
  • Your age;
  • If you are doing a paid internship or not;
  • The total amount of time that you will be living in The Netherlands.

Dutch basic healthcare insurance

Every Dutch citizen is obliged to take out a basic healthcare insurance. This is a obligatory package compiled by the government which covers the most important basic medical needs, like a visit to the general practitioner or the hospital. For coverage of additional medical care, like a visit to the dentist, supplementary insurances are available. When you are studying in The Netherlands you will only need this insurance when you are actually earning money through internship or (part-time) job, over 30 years old or if you are staying for a long period of time. Find out more about the basic healthcare insurance.

Private healthcare insurance

When you are planning to study in The Netherlands and you come from a non-European country you might have to take out a private healthcare insurance. This insurance is designed especially for international students who are not allowed to get the basic Dutch healthcare insurance. To be eligible for this insurance you have to be an unemployed student in The Netherlands. Find out more about insurance companies that offer the special private student healthcare insurance.

Home country insurance

If you are a citizen of the European Union, The European Economic Area or Switzerland you can probably keep your home country health care insurance. The only condition is that you are not working or doing a paid internship in The Netherlands. Make sure to check if your home country insurance covers medical care living abroad. If this is the case, you can apply for an EHIC card. The card, issued by your home country health insurance provider, proves that you are insured in your home country. Subsequently it will give you access to medically necessary Dutch healthcare during your temporary stay. Read more about the validity of your home country insurance in The Netherlands.