Student mobile insurance
As a student you need to have a proper laptop. Next to a laptop you probably have a smartphone, tablet and/or camera. Especially for students buying all this can be expensive. Therefore it is important to have a good insurance in case of something unexpected, like theft or damage, happens. On this page you will find extensive information about mobile insurances in the Netherlands.
What is a mobile insurance?
With a mobile insurance you are covered for damage, theft, robbery and other unexpected events that damage your mobile devices. You can for example insure your laptop, smartphone and tablet.
What is covered by a mobile insurance?
There are a lot of occurrences covered by a mobile insurance, for example:
- Loss of your laptop
- Damage caused by a lack of the laptop itself
- Damage caused by an external event
The exact coverage of your insurance depends on the insurance company you choose. Always read the policy terms before you decide on a mobile insurance.
Coverage outside of the Netherlands
Most of the insurers also cover theft and other claims that happened outside of the Netherlands, for example during your holiday. Unfortunately, it is possible that the compensation is lower when you make your claim for an event outside of the Netherlands.
What is not covered by a mobile insurance?
In some cases the claim of damage to your mobile device is not covered by a mobile insurance. This is for example the case:
- When you left your laptop in a public place unattended.
- When you loan your laptop to someone that is not your immediate family.
- Damage caused by a natural disaster.
- Damage that is caused intentionally.
- Damage that is the fault of the insured.
- Damage caused by an act of terrorism.
- Damage or loss caused by a fall out of act by the insured.
- Damage caused by experimental use of the laptop.
- amage caused by the use of accessories that are not compatible with the laptop.
- Wear and tear of the laptop
- Scrapes on the laptop.
How much is the premium of a mobile insurance?
The premium you have to pay for the mobile insurance depends on a few things:
- the device you want to insure (what kind of mobile device and which brand)
- the insurance company
- possible student discount
In general it can be stated that a mobile insurance will cost you between €2,- to €10,- every month.
Differences in premium
Insurance companies can have different rules on calculating the premium. The ways in which they can do this are:
- Some insurers will calculate your premium on the basis of the purchase price of your mobile device (for example 3% of the purchase price)
- Some insurers have a fixed premium, but with a limit of the purchase price (for example a limit of 1000 Euro)
Most insurance companies charge some extra costs when you get a new insurance, these are:
- Policy costs (approximately €3,60)
- 21% insurance tax
What to do when your mobile device is stolen?
- Report your theft as soon as possible to your local police. Most insurers will not pay your claim, when you cannot show a report of the local police.
- Look for a receipt that proves you bought the mobile device
- Contact your insurance company and make a claim.
Some other suggestions
- Often it is possible to get a mobile insurance at the store where you buy your mobile device.
- Some universities or colleges offer a mobile insurance to their students. For more information you can ask your study counsellor.
- It is wise to read the terms and conditions of different policies of mobile insurances before making a decision, because these terms and conditions can differ.