Private healthcare insurance

If you are a foreigner studying in The Netherlands you are obliged to be insured properly. Within Europe there are agreements that make it easier to be insured in a different European country. If you are not from Europe, the EEA or Switzerland chances are that you will have to take out a private healthcare insurance. In this article you will read exactly what this type of insurance entails.

Go directly to our

What is a private healthcare insurance

In the Dutch healthcare system inhabitants of the country are obliged to get a basic healthcare insurance. The Dutch government decides what is covered by this insurance and all the insurance companies have to offer this package. In some situations, for almost all non-EU international students, it is not possible to get this insurance. To make sure everyone living in The Netherlands is well insured, private healthcare insurances are made available.

For who

Not every international student has to take out a private healthcare insurance. In some situations you can get a basic Dutch health insurance or you get to keep the insurance from your home country. Private health care insurances are especially made available for those students that come from outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland. The only exceptions are:

  • The private health care insurance is only obliged for students that plan a temporary stay that does not exceed 1 year;
  • You are going to work in the Netherlands;
  • You are going to do a paid internship

In the above mentioned situations, you will need to apply for a Dutch healthcare insurance.

Read more about the rules concerning the insurances on the page possible insurances for foreign students.

Policy terms

When you get a private healthcare insurance you will be insured for medical care in The Netherlands.

Besides that, if you are planning to travel through Europe, you can look into the so called ‘globetrotter’ insurances. These kind of insurances also offer coverage for:

  • Luggage
  • Repatriation
  • Liability

Always read the policy terms carefully before deciding on an insurance. The insurance companies can differ in the conditions that they apply. The policy terms are available in English.


You will have to pay the insurance company a fixed premium every month. How high this premium is depends on the insurance company you choose, your home country, your age and how long you will be staying in The Netherlands.

Insurance companies

Special private insurances for international students are offered by the companies Allianz and IPS (Insurance Passport for Students).

Allianz Global Assistance
Allianz Global Assistance offers a special Incoming Student Insurance. This insurance can be taken out for a maximum of 18 months. With the Allianz Global Assistance Incoming Student Insurance you are insured for:

  • Medical care in the Netherlands
  • Travel accidents
  • Damage to travel luggage
  • Liability

Additional benefits of this insurance are:

  • A special policy for European students and one for non-European students
  • Access to a travel doctor who speaks 6 languages
  • Coverage during holiday or a visit to your home country (maximum 21 days)

There are some conditions regarding the insurance:

  • You have to be a foreign student and under the age of 30 to be able to apply
  • You will have to pay €4,50 administration costs
  • Winter sports and special sports can be insured for 10% extra premium
  • The minimum insurance period is 3 months

Go to Allianz Global Assistance (Incoming Student/Au Pair Insurance)
Note: Only the Au Pair family can take out this insurance

IPS (International Passport for Students)
IPS offers three different insurance packages: primary, secondary and basic. The secondary and basic packages are only supplementary packages which offer an additional coverage on a health insurance you already have.

Students that do not have a basic insurance in Holland, can take out the primary package.
This insurance covers:

  • Medical costs
  • Repatriation or medical transport
  • Legal aid
  • Liability
  • Damage to baggage or household goods

It is optional to include a winter- and underwater sport coverage for an extra €5,- a month. You can get the IPS Student Insurance for a maximum of a year, but it is possible to renew your contract after a year (with a maximum of 7 years).